just found eggs, help appreciated!!

Information on breeding Crested Geckos can be found here. This is also the place to ask any questions or discuss anything relating to breeding Crested Geckos.
rotinsky16

just found eggs, help appreciated!!

Post by rotinsky16 »

I put my male and female together way back in november for about a week, and my female would just not lay eggs. I assumed that my pair just didn't mate after looking for eggs that long. Until yesterday I saw my female buried in her laybox, and sure enough this morning there were two healthy eggs inside. My first question is, my geckos were paired in november, and my female just layed the eggs today!?!? Is this normal for females to hold the sperm for 3-4 months before laying? My other questions are about incubating the eggs. Right now I have the eggs in a home made incubator with vermiculite as the substrate. The container does not have any holes poked into it, so how often should I open the container to let fresh air in? Also how often should I mist the vermiculite after the initial draining of the water? I dont want the eggs to grow mold on them, or them dry up from not being moist enough. Any information will be much appreciated, thanks!

crestedgeckos

Re: just found eggs, help appreciated!!

Post by crestedgeckos »

Congrats on the eggs!

It is normal for the female to retain the sperm until she is ready to produce eggs and she may continue to produce them for several months! Is this her 1st time laying eggs?

In relation to incubating if you can, punch some small holes into the container you are using, if not then open it up every other day for 30 seconds or so to let the fresh air in which will help with preventing mold growth as it grows better in stagnant air.

Check the vermiculite is damp each week, it should stick to your fingers when you touch it. If it does not stick then you need to mist it. Try not to get water on the egg itself but if you do then just rest some tissue on it to soak it up.

rotinsky16

Post by rotinsky16 »

Thanks! Yes this is her first time laying, but the eggs look very healthy and a bright white. I heard if its there first time they may only lay one egg, or the eggs might be infertile but mine are very promising. So now that my female laid the eggs should I expect eggs pretty consistant for next few months, or would she hold off for another 4 months before laying again?

crestedgeckos

Post by crestedgeckos »

Well each female is different but yes I would expect some more eggs over the coming months. Good luck with them!