Hejsan från Sverige

If you have registered with the forum please introduce yourself to the other members here.
getmeinahalfpipe

Hejsan från Sverige

Post by getmeinahalfpipe »

Hi everyone,

I'm an Englishman living in Sweden and will be getting a pair of cresties in just over a month! I am super excited as my collection will be growing, so far I only have a baldy super hypo tangerine carrot-tail leopard gecko (not sure what order to write that in!) and a bernese mountain dog (so a little different).

I'm currently setting up an exo-terra terrarium, with fully automated 'shower system' but I have a question (well many actually!!) as I want a fully 'live' setup, so no (or not many at least) fake plants etc, but was wondering what people think as 'the best' plant species for their setup? I understand there are potentially hundreds to choose from, but any and all advice is welcome.

I look forward to joining in some discussions and will hopefully post some pics of my setup (and eventually the little guys) asap.

Mike

DodoBird27
Crestie citizen

Re: Hejsan från Sverige

Post by DodoBird27 »

Welcome to the forum! I love bernese mountain dogs, almost got one myself a few years ago :)

For plants, I'm not sure what's avalible to you but pothos, creeping fig, and ficus are great vivarium plants, I think they are pretty common in stores too. Orchids are a beauitful addition. Bromeliads and pretty much any basic ferns also work just fine.

1.0.0 Ball Python-PJ
1.0.0 Kenyan Sand Boa- Casper
1.3.0 Crested Geckos- Doon, Samy, Izzie, Phoenix
1 male adorable, dorky, mutt- Sonny
RIP Rio

crestedgeckos

Post by crestedgeckos »

Hi and welcome to our forum!

Great decision to expand your collection by getting some Cresties, you won't regret it! As for live plants I can't think of any more on top of what Jenna has already said.

Pics of the setup when done would go down well! :LOL:

getmeinahalfpipe

Thanks for the welcome,

I have a great source of information near me for lots of reptile related bits, as my local reptile shop is run by a couple who have been breeding (actually many types of) reptiles since time began! They are housed in/next to a plant nursery and have given me some more suitable plant ideas, so it's any easy combination to ask the question and nip next door to see if they have it available.

A follow up question, which again I have been reading some mixed things about (as always right?!) was housing a male and female pair. Is it advisable to remove the male after the breeding season, that the female will get too stressed otherwise? Sorry if its been covered already in detail, I was planning on posting it under the 'breeding' section, but its not really directly related to that.

I understand that the best combination would be two females (of course there arent any guarantees for not fighting) or either one male and two (or more) females. What do you guys think?

Mike

crestedgeckos

Post by crestedgeckos »

In relation to housing male and female together it is advisable to separate the male at the beginning of the breeding season. The male will constantly pester the female wanting to mate with her which causes her a great deal of stress. If you house them together they WILL mate so you would need to be prepared for this and make sure the female is at least 35 grams in weight. Any smaller and she may be too small to cope.

getmeinahalfpipe

Sounds very logical! Thanks for the help, my terrarium is slowly coming together, so will try and post some pics in the nearish future.

crestedgeckos

Post by crestedgeckos »

Sounds good, would be great to see some pics

getmeinahalfpipe

I purchased my cresties on the weekend and took one pic of them in their transport container (so not the best I know). Once they have settled I'll take some more, but here's the first one (Tara, female to the right, Terje, male on the left, both 10 months old):

Once I let them in their new home I quickly took a picture of Tara before she disappeared from sight:

crestedgeckos

Post by crestedgeckos »

Thanks for sharing the photos, they look like a couple of strong, healthy Cresties, lovely colours too!